Studio Ponoc (株式会社スタジオポノック Kabushiki-gaisha Sutajio Ponokku) is a Japanese animation studio based in Musashino, Tokyo, Japan. The company was founded by former Studio Ghibli lead film producer Yoshiaki Nishimura in April 2015. Its first feature film Mary and the Witch's Flower was released on July 8, 2017 throughout Japan.
Yoshiaki Nishimura founded Studio Ponoc on April 15, 2015 and gained the support of several animators previously working under Studio Ghibli, including director Hiromasa Yonebayashi. The name of the studio comes from the Polish word ponoć, for "midnight", meant to signify "the beginning of a new day".
The studio worked on an advertisement for JR West for its 2015 summer campaign. Mary and the Witch's Flower, the studio's first feature film, was able to reach number six of the highest-grossing films of the year in Japan. The film is based on The Little Broomstick by Mary Stewart. Several former employees of Studio Ghibli have joined the studio to work on the film.
Short works Edit
- Television ad spot for JR West (2015)
- Mary and the Witch's Flower (2017, directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi)
- Modest Heroes (2018, directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi, Yoshiyuki Momose, and Akihiko Yamashita)
- 〒180-0023 東京都武蔵野市境南町2-10-21 新倉ビル
- Niikura Bldg. 2-10-21 Kyonancho, Musashino-shi,
- Tokyo 180-0023, JAPAN